Krkonoše Photo - 1 Krkonoše Photo - 2 Krkonoše Photo - 3 Krkonoše Photo - 4 Krkonoše Photo - 5 Krkonoše Photo - 6


Cemetery Church

Print
Cemetery Church
Hřbitovní kostel Nanebevzetí Panny Marie
Temný Důl 46, 542 26 Horní Maršov
Email: info@veselyvylet.cz
Phone: +420 499 874 298
Web: http://www.veselyvylet.cz
Map: View

The cemetery Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, the oldest authentic building in the eastern Krkonose, is surrounded by many old tombstones, most of them bearing German names. The small wooden church built in 1568 was replaced by a grand stone church in 1608, following a Renaissance project by the Italian architect Carlo Valmadi. The building works started in 1603 probably in connection with the arrival of the Evangelical pastor Zacharias Schmidt. Just as the mountain people got accustomed to his preaching, the imperial armies defeated the Czech states at the Battle of Bila hora on 8 November 1620. Marsov was part of the confiscated properties which the Trcka family of Lipa acquired in 1622, the same year that the Catholics forced pastor Schmidt to leave Marsov together with his most dedicated followers. The parish was left without a spiritual leader for six years until Petr Bonaventura, a Jesuit monk, arrived and converted the church and the believers to his creed. The cemetery church was included in the prestigious programme of the Salvation of the National Architectural Heritage in 2003 as only the third historical monument in the Trutnov region.