Krkonoše Photo - 1 Krkonoše Photo - 2 Krkonoše Photo - 3 Krkonoše Photo - 4 Krkonoše Photo - 5 Krkonoše Photo - 6


krkonose.eu » Tourist Destinations, A to Z » Church of St. Catherine of Alexandria

Church of St. Catherine of Alexandria

Print
Church of St. Catherine of Alexandria
Kostel sv. Kateřiny Alexandrijské
ThDr. Karla Farského čp. 130, 512 11 Vysoké nad Jizerou
Email: muzeum@vysokenadjizerou.cz
Phone: +420 481 593 118
Web: www.vysokenadjizerou.cz
Map: View

A wooden church was built in Vysoke no later than in the first half of the 14th century, to be replaced by a new stone church in 1725-1734, extended by a narthex in 1817 and complemented by a statue of St. Wenceslas in 1862 and a cast iron coat of arms of the Rohan family at the end of the 19th century. In the summer of 1834 the entire town was affected by a fire which also damaged the church spire, melted the bells which dated back to 1586 and 1673, destroyed the clock, side tribune, four side altars and the high altar with a painting of St. Catherine from 1817. A Baroque baptismal font with a metallic vessel from 1701 and the statue of St. John the Baptist Christening in Jordan, the lower part of the pulpit made in 1758, the Rococo altar of St. Barbara, a Gothic Madonna and statues from the altars of St. John and St. Anne are the only artefacts preserved from the period before the fire. The church was long in repair after the fire. The last repair of the exterior walls was carried out in 2002.