Krkonoše Photo - 1 Krkonoše Photo - 2 Krkonoše Photo - 3 Krkonoše Photo - 4 Krkonoše Photo - 5 Krkonoše Photo - 6 » Tourist Destinations, A to Z » Former Sklenarovice Village

Former Sklenarovice Village

Former Sklenarovice Village
Sklenářovice - mostek
Nám. Svornosti 527, 542 24 Svoboda nad Úpou
Phone: 00420 499 871 167
Map: View

The village of Sklenarovice was probably founded in relation to gold mining in the 16th century. The locals later moved to meadow farming and grazing. It led to deforestation of the Sklenarovicke valley sides, which caused the first avalanche recorded in the Krkonose chronicles in the middle of the 17th century. It destroyed two houses and killed 8 people. At the beginning of the 20th century, Sklenarovice was a prosperous village with 250 inhabitants, two pubs, 5 workshops and an operational water branch. However, as a result of the Benes Decrees issued in 1945, the locals were deported, the houses dismantled and moved to Slovakia. In the 1960’s the army completed the demolition and Sklenarovice thus became another extinct village in the map. You can now only find remains of foundations, several dilapidated cellars, a renewed monument to the victims of World War One and two small vaulted bridges in the valley. The upper part of the valley is protected as part of Zone II of the Krkonossky National Park for rare plant species, and public access is prohibited.