Krkonoše Photo - 1 Krkonoše Photo - 2 Krkonoše Photo - 3 Krkonoše Photo - 4 Krkonoše Photo - 5 Krkonoše Photo - 6


Jan Sverma Mine

Print
Jan Sverma Mine
Muzeum Žacléř 2 Muzeum Žacléř interiér Muzeum Žacléř interiér 2 Městské muzeum Žacléř 3 Muzeum Žacléř 4 Muzeum Žacléř 5 Muzeum Žacléř 6 Muzeum Žacléř 7 Muzeum Žacléř 8 Muzeum Žacléř 9 Muzeum Žacléř - muzejní noc
Lampertice 21, 54201 Žacléř
Email: karel.novotny@gemec.cz
Phone: (00420) 499 409 102
Web: http://www.hornickyskanzenzacler.cz
Map: View

Black coal used to be exploited around Zacler as early as in 1570. However, the greatest boom came in the 18th and 19th century. The Julie (53 m) and Marie (186 m) shafts were excavated in 1853–1872, both equipped with a steam-powered hoisting machine and Marie also with a pump to remove water. Several shafts were joined in 1950 to make the existing mine called Jan Sverma, which thus become the oldest black coal mine in Bohemia. That’s when the main extraction shaft, “Jan”, began to be mined, with approx. 600 miners extracting 200–250 thousand tons of coal per year. After the 1989 changes, the mining turned out to be uneconomic, and mining in Zacler was closed down on 31/12/1992 after more than four centuries, leaving underground, besides coal reserves, also over 77 km of drifts and crosscuts in an area of 10 sq.km. Jan Sverma is now a technical monument and lies on the right-hand side of the road from Zacler to Lampertice.